The Tahoma Activist

"Changing the Media, One Story at a Time"

This website is your Pierce County source for progressive news and opinion. If you want to be a part of The Tahoma Activist, send all submissions here. We will print anything that makes sense and touches on the important issues of the day.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

State Letter Carriers defy the President, tell him not to open mail without a warrant

Well, it took several months, but we finally did it. The resolution I got passed at our local Tacoma Branch got moved up and passed at our State Convention. Now I need to get the State Labor Council to do a similar resolution opposing this practice, and we might have enough momentum to take it all the way to national.

For folks who don't know, the President has claimed in a signing statement the right to open mail without warrants in certain circumstances, to be determined by him or his agents. This is crazy. I figured that I was in a good position to oppose a policy like this, being as I'm a letter carrier and in charge of people's mail every day, so I took the initiative to get this ball rolling. Thankfully, it seems that most letter carriers agree with me and think this is bulls***. I would urge anyone who is concerned about the safety of the mail to write or call their member of Congress and demand that they oppose the opening of mail without a warrant.

Once again, the toll-free number for Congress is 1-800-862-5530. If that doesn't work, call 202-225-3121


StumbleUpon Toolbar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home